SoftCover: 48 Pages
Photos / illustrations:
Publisher: Published jointly by
The Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservation Society and Lower Methil Heritage Centre.
Publication date: 1996
ISBN-10: 0 9528535 0 7
Book Dimensions: 21.4 x 15.2 x 2.2 cm
Copies of the above booklet are available by contacting:
The Kingdom of Fife Railway Preservation Society through their website. Choose The KFRPS Shop from the menu.
This booklet covers a short history of the Methil branch line railway, which diverged from the main line at Thornton and terminated at Methil Docks, serving the towns and villages of West Wemyss, Coaltown of Wemyss, East Wemyss, Buckhaven and Methil as well asa many coal mines and other industries along the course of the line.
The line first opened between Thornton and Buckhaven in 1881, with the extension to Methil following six years later in 1887.
The stormy eighty year history of the railway saw the line pass through periods of profitability and times of uncertainty followed by the inevitable decline in both passenger and goods services as the railway gave way to the more modern methods of transport.
The last passenger train to use the Methil branch line departed from Methil Station in 1955 after several years of decline in passenger traffic as a direct result of competition from the roads. After a further decade of declining goods traffic, the line was completely closed in 1966.
Sadly, all passenger trains in the Levenmouth area are now only a memory, but hopefullly this informative booklet will bring back many recollections to those who remember railways in Fife prior to the Beeching cuts of the 1960’s.